Autism Friendly Communities
The Autism Society envisions individuals and families living with autism are able to maximize their quality of life, are treated with the highest level of dignity, and live in a society in which their talents and skills are appreciated and valued. Quality of life indicators, such as the opportunity for community involvement and the freedom to spend time in a meaningful way are essential aspects of the human experience.
The Autism Society of Greater Wisconsin is implementing the Autism Friendly Communities Initiative to promote inclusion at more community activities and events. The Autism Friendly Communities Initiative’s overall goal is to increase the quality of life for those affected by autism by improving community understanding of autism and improving access to inclusive experiences, programs, and events.
What does it mean to be Autism Friendly?
As an Autism Friendly Communities partner, you recognize that individuals with autism experience the world differently and commit to evaluating and adapting your business or organization in several ways:
- Training staff and volunteers to understand autism and strategies to support individuals and families affected by autism.
- Assessing and making modifications to environment, programs, or procedures.
- Developing visual supports as applicable.
- Implementing inclusive hiring practices.
- Committing to quality improvement.
How are partners recognized as Autism Friendly?
An Autism Friendly Communities partner can expect:
- An Autism Friendly Window Decal to display
- An Autism Friendly Certificate to display
- Recognition on Autism Society of Greater Wisconsin social media accounts
- Recognition on the Autism Society of Greater Wisconsin website